I never updated you on the Oscars. I thought about it, I really did, but I felt like Oscar reviews were EVERYWHERE. I was happy Cate Blanchett won, I didn’t see 12 Years a Slave yet so I’m indifferent about that, Kate Hudson’s look was my favorite, and I have no idea what it would take for a host to please the masses. People are never happy with the host!
I love Ellen. I love anyone who dances by themselves on television because it makes other people happy (even with all her clothes on, hurray!). I don’t think she was outstanding, but let’s all remember Hathaway and Franco and silently weep for a few seconds. I vote Poehler and Fey for the hosts next year. I just re-read Tina Fey’s book. Again.
Well, I said I wouldn’t review the Oscars and I think I just did.
Let’s move on!
I have three items of news to share with the class you today:
- True Detective ended Sunday night. Am I the only one who was underwhelmed by the finale? I still need answers! Particularly about Marty’s daughter and Rust’s star stories. Thanks in advance.
- House of Cards. I was a huge fan of season 1. Told people it was the best show around. Why can’t I get into season 2 the same way? Is my brain permanently morphed from watching too many seasons of Real Housewives? Does political banter no longer entertain it like dinner party stiletto battles do? Or is it just not as thrilling this season? Spoiler Alert: I think I just miss Peter Russo.
- I’m loving my new job. It is literally a dream come true. I hang out with elementary school students ALL day. And don’t have to teach them how to add fractions or use the potty regularly- BONUS! The only down-side of the otherwise wonderful position is a longer commute and earlier start time in the morning. It makes all my hopes for a healthy, protein-packed breakfast at home go down the drain. Instead, I do the terrible ritual of EATING BREAKFAST IN MY CAR. Roll your eyes at me. It’s fine.
These banana muffins will be a staple car breakfast for the year.
They have the texture of banana cake. Not that weird texture you get when you make banana breakfast cookies (you know what I’m talking about!). They are also so healthy that you can pile in mini chocolate chips to the point where they fall out which is a total party because then you can find little brown polka dots on your pants and coat all day at work!
Here is the recipe I followed. Thanks, Sally!
- I used ¾ whole wheat flour and ¼ AP flour. You do you.
- I added about 2 tablespoons of chia seeds with the chocolate chips. You can omit those if you’d like.
- FOLLOW THE BAKING INSTRUCTIONS! You will get lovely, puffed muffin tops. Just like the ones we are all trying to bicycle kick away.
- I did not make a topping nor do I think these need a topping, these are very moist and flavorful on their own!
- You could add walnuts for some serious texture. I was just trying to cut the fat.
- I used all natural, crunchy peanut butter which added a nice enough crunch.